Are you getting bored of the way your house is set out but don’t know where to start when it comes to changing it? No worries! This guide will surely give you ideas and techniques. You can use to achieve the home layout you were dreaming of.
Before getting started with any renovations or decorating, it’s essential to know your limitations. Before committing to the changes you are thinking of, many constraints may apply. So ensure that you check thoroughly before you start. If you are designing your home from scratch, there are fundamental construction laws that you will need to abide by (if you are in the UK):
- 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act- When designing your house, you need to consider the construction team’s safety in carrying out the building. Likewise, they will be expected to carry out the construction in ways that abide by this act.
- 2017 Town And Country Planning Regulations- Before you apply for planning permission, it is required that you have an environmental impact assessment. The materials you are planning on using and planning to have them built could mean that you have to rethink your design choices.
- 1998 The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations- This one sets out essential guidelines for lifting heavy machinery on sites, and was put in place to protect workers and operators on the construction site.
- 2002 The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations- This covers the materials that are not allowed on-site, as well as the ones that are. Make sure to check this thoroughly, as you may have to return to the drawing board. As well as detailing the materials not allowed, it gives details on how some of the materials permitted must be handled.
You may only be considering interior design, and these might not be as relevant to you. However, there will still be restrictions for you to consider, for example, budget. You could potentially take out a personal loan, though you would have to be careful with keeping up with repayments and make sure that your income will allow you to do so.
Protect the Property
Protecting and looking after the home is one of the best ways of making sure you have a great looking property that is going to stand out and make a big difference to the way your home comes across. There are loads of excellent ideas that play a role in this, and you need to try to come up with some of the best ways of helping you to achieve this as much as possible. These are some of the best ways of being able to look after the property as much as you can right now.
- Weatherproof it – Having measures in place to make your home more weatherproof is one of the best things you can do, and there are plenty of steps that will allow you to achieve this moving forward.
- Insurance – One of the key factors when looking after your home is to make sure you weatherproof it as much as you can, and this is something that you need to get right. Hiring an insurance claim denial lawyer can help get any claim over the line, and this is something that will protect your home long-term.
- Security – Making the home more secure is one of the best things that you need to try to focus on as much as possible, and this can make a massive difference to improving how your home comes across.
Designing Your Dream Home
You might be struggling to know where to start with adapting the interior of your home. Here are some tips and suggestions that might help you:
- Don’t rule out help- there are many different companies out there that offer to build your custom kitchen, bedroom, or office space. While they may vary in price, there are out enough there that you are bound to find one that will fit your budget and comes highly recommended.
- Go for what you want- It is your home, so make sure to personalize it in such a way that appeals to you. You can consider the latest popular trends, but make sure to put your spin on it to make it yours. The space you’re designing needs to reflect you, as you will be the one spending the most time in it.
- Make a mood board- This is the easiest way to set out all of your ideas in one place. You don’t have to be the best artist, or designer, just enough of a rough sketch to get a feel for what you want and what it could look like. Alternatively, you could paste images from sites such as Instagram, Pinterest, or even print magazines. Essentially, this will be a board for inspiration and allow you to see exactly what you like.
Don’t miss: How to Decorate a Small Living Room?
- Try Before You Buy- With paint and wallpaper, you must take samples of your favourite paint colours and wallpapers, as they can look different depending on the lighting. This is a way of making sure that you don’t regret anything due to rushing into things.
- Measure the space- One of the biggest mistakes you can make is buying furniture, curtains, or wall art without measuring the amount of space you have to place them in. Make sure you take an accurate measurement of the window, room, or wall with a tape measurer so that you can be sure you have enough room for the furniture you want.
- Make sure samples are returnable- If you are ordering numerous different samples of materials, you could make sure you can return them. There will be colors and materials that don’t fit with your vision, and you don’t want to end up with a pile of samples that you don’t need anymore, taking up space.
Hopefully, this guide will have given you a starting point for designing your dream home. If you need more help figuring out what you want, there are numerous interior designers available out there that you could hire for a helping hand.