Share This Article
Table of Contents Hide
- 10 Ways To Stretch Shirts Safely
- 1. Check the Fabric Type
- 2. Stretch Shirt with Good Quality Conditioner
- 3. Stretch the Shirt On the Chair
- 4. Stretch the Shirt with an Iron
- 5. Stretch Shirt with Weights
- 6. Stretch the Shirts On Your Body
- 7. Use the Shirt Stretcher Tool
- 8. Shirt Stretch in Shower
- 9. Steam Process for Shirt Stretching
- 10. Tug Stretching
- Frequently Asked Question’s
Are you an online shopping freak? There are chances that we may buy the wrong size. With time we observe changes in our bodies and find out our favorite shirts are no longer fit. You have seen when after washing, clothes become too tight for us.
This would happen when shirts shrink around the chest and waist for those building muscles. You may go for a newer one and discard the fitted one when such a situation occurs. Everyone must know how to stretch a shirt safely to make it bigger. When you wash it carefully, then it doesn’t shrink. Let’s learn how to stretch shirts safely in this blog.
10 Ways To Stretch Shirts Safely
1. Check the Fabric Type
Before stretching a shirt, it’s essential to consider the fabric type. Different fabrics have different characteristics, and not all are suitable for stretching. Cotton, wool, and linen are generally more stretchable than synthetic fabrics.
2. Stretch Shirt with Good Quality Conditioner
To stretch out the shirt safely, it’s essential to use a conditioner with a standard method. As we all know, hair conditioners moisten our hair and make it silky and smooth similarly; this is a helpful technique to make shirts bigger with conditioner. You need not worry, as we have mentioned the step where you can use baby shampoo, baking soda, and vinegar instead of conditioner.
- Put a tee in the big bucket of water to soak.
- Use lukewarm water and soak the areas that you want to stretch. Add enough water to soak the whole cloth.
- Mix one tablespoon of any hair conditioner in another bucket. Mix it with your hands to ensure it fully dissolves in the water.
- Pour the shirt into the bucket with water and conditioner. Keep the shirt flat on the top of the bucket and pour it gently under the water.
- Keep it dissolved for 10-15 minutes.
- Take out the tee and wash it with clean water.
- Lay down the tee on a flat area such as a table or floor. Put some clothes below to avoid the surface.
- After keeping it flat, place your forearms on the parts of the shirt that you want to stretch.
3. Stretch the Shirt On the Chair
People who don’t want to use harsh chemicals to stretch their shirts safely can use the chair in-house and stretch out their t-shirts in the following manner.
- Wet the entire shirt.
- Put the dripping shirt over the back of a chair or use the chair to fix the entire top.
- Let it completely dry. The chair shape will help to expand the shirt when it gets dry.
4. Stretch the Shirt with an Iron
- Wet the shirt thoroughly with cold water and lay it flat in a tub.
- Spread it out flat on the ironing board. Let the excess water be removed by squeezing it out.
- Applying pressure over t-shirts with an iron set to medium-low heat.
- Start pushing and pressing with the iron while holding the shirts with the other hand.
- Apply pressure with an iron, and stretch the garment to make a small t-shirt bigger and longer.
5. Stretch Shirt with Weights
Stretching shirts with weights can be an effective way to achieve a better fit, but avoiding damaging the fabric or altering the shirt’s shape is essential. Make sure you use the right weight that is heavy enough to stretch the shirt but don’t use too much weight because it can damage the fabric and do not blindly trust expensive clothing brands that they will last more, the poor technique can damage all. When you remove the weights, try on the shirts to see if it has stretched enough to desired fit once the shirt has stretched to desired fit, wash and dry to set the new shape. People can use cool or Lukewarm water and air dry the shirt to avoid damaging the fabric.
6. Stretch the Shirts On Your Body
If you don’t want to get your favorite shirts wet or use a chemical like a conditioner, then another way to stretch the shirt is to try it out on the body. Wear the shirt and allow it to naturally conform to your body shape. Use your hands to stretch the fabric, so gently, be careful not to pull hard or too fast. It can damage the fabric or alter the shape of the shirt. Move your body around while wearing the shirt to help the fabric stretch and conform to your body shape.
7. Use the Shirt Stretcher Tool
A shirt stretcher is a tool which is designed for stretching shirts. It helps to maintain the shape and size of the shirt while stretching. Follow the instructions provided with the shirt stretcher to ensure proper usage and not damage the fabric.
8. Shirt Stretch in Shower
It might be odd, but this is also a proven technique to stretch the shirt in the shower. When you are in the shower, wear a shirt. Tug it on all the areas you want to stretch. You can even expand the size of the shirt while showering. Wet fabric causes garments to expand and will help you get the desired fit so if you have made a checklist for buying shirts, you should exclude the size margin from it.
9. Steam Process for Shirt Stretching
Although the ironing process is a bit feasible, you can use a garment steamer to steam the shirt lightly. Steam helps to relax the fabric fibers and allows for additional stretching. Focus on the areas that require stretching but avoid overdoing it.
10. Tug Stretching
Shirts can be stretched through tugging; if you tug and tug on them, the shirt will eventually stretch. If you keep your shirt on all the time and constantly pull on it will stretch it out. Make sure not to overdo the stretching so as not to ruin the shape.
Frequently Asked Question’s
Yes, it’s safe to stretch shirts with prints, but make sure you damage the design during the conditioning and stretching.
There are many effective techniques to stretch the shirt, such as using conditioner, chair, or weight to apply to a wide range of fabrics from cotton to polyester.
You can easily stretch the shirt without the risk of damage. All the techniques are risk-free, so pick whatever you find convenient.
Stretchy materials include polyester, cotton, or nylon are the best fabrics to stretch.
Avoid using hot water in the washing machine and high heat in the dryer that cause garments to shrink.
Stretching shirts are the best to maintain comfort and will easily fit your favorite garments. These are ways to stretch a shirt so you can enjoy the shirt for a long period. Consider fabric type and choose the stretching methods that suit your shirt fabric.